MBBS (Hons), MS, PhD, FRACS
Dr Noushi is an Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon, Surgical Oncologist and General Surgeon with over 15 years of experience, based on the North Shore and Northern Beaches. Dr Noushi practices at the Sydney Adventist, North Shore Private, Ryde and Manly Hospitals, with rooms in Roseville and Dee Why. His rooms at Roseville are equipped with an operating theatre suitable for minor general surgical procedures.
As a Breast surgeon Dr Noushi performs a wide range of breast oncological and reconstructive procedures, which include extended breast conservation, advanced sentinel node biopsy techniques, breast reduction and therapeutic mammaplasty, implant and tissue transfer breast reconstruction. All his breast cancer patients are afforded multidisciplinary care through Multidisciplinary Team Oncology meetings. In addition he also partakes in regular diagnostic assessments for BreastScreen NSW.
As a Surgical oncologist and General Surgeon, Dr Noushi has extensive experience in laparoscopic hernia, gallbladder, gastrointestinal surgery, endoscopy/colonoscopy and skin cancer/Melanoma surgery. Dr Noushi is also a mentor to the next generation of surgeons and has been appointed a Supervisor of surgical training at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Dr Noushi and his staff are committed to providing high quality individualised care for all his patients; focusing on patient comfort, education and well-being. Dr Noushi uses state-of-the art proven techniques in caring for all his patients, resulting in excellent health outcomes.
Dr Noushi was awarded the Dux of Carey Grammar School and the Australian Students Prize for excellence in 1990 and gained entrance to medical school at the University of Melbourne. He completed his medical training in 1995 from The University of Melbourne, where he graduated with honours in medicine and surgery. He then undertook General Surgical training through the Austin & Repatriation Hospital and concurrently completed a Masters of Surgery at the University of Melbourne.
In 2005, Dr Noushi moved to Sydney and was appointed the Clinical Superintendent in Surgery at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he completed post-fellowship training over 2 years in Laparoscopic, Colorectal Surgery and Surgical Oncology. During his post-fellowship work, Dr Noushi developed a special interest in breast oncology surgery and he undertook further training and research in Breast Oncology at the NSW Cancer Institute, Royal North Shore and Mater Hospitals.
He was also granted the Cancer Institute Fellowship Award, John Collins Gold Medal from the ANZBCTG, several travel and research grants for his work in internal mammary node metastasis and techniques of breast lymphoscintigraphy. This research has been practice changing and Dr Noushi was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) for his work. Throughout his training and beyond he continued to gain clinical expertise in oncoplastic breast surgery and reconstruction with pioneers in the field within Australia and the United States.
Contact Number: 02 9416 4196
- Breast Cancer, Skin Cancer & Surgical Oncology
- Hernia, Gallbladder & General Surgery
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Screening –
- Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy
- Clinical Fellowship in Breast and Surgical Oncology
- Cancer Institute NSW Clinical Fellowship Program
- MBBS (Hons) – University of Melbourne
- Master of Surgery – University of Sydney
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – University of Sydney
- Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Grad Certificate of Higher Education – University of Sydney
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Member of the Breast Surgeons Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Member of General Surgeons Australia
- Member of Surgical Oncology Group (RACS)
- Visiting Medical Officer:
- North Shore Private Hospital
- Sydney Adventist Hospital
- Manly Hospital
- Ryde Hospital
- Royal North Shore BreastScreen
Awards, Publications & Research:
The Significance of Internal Mammary Lymph Nodes in Breast Cancer
Awards & Grants:
- National Breast Cancer Foundation – Novel Concept Award/ Pilot Study Grant
- Friends of the Mater Research Grant
- Australasian Research Institute Research Grant
- Novartis Research Grant
- Cancer Institute NSW Fellowship Award
- Friends of the Mater Travel Grant
- John Collins Gold Medal, Australia New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group (ANZBCTG)
- ANZBCTG Travel Grant
- Cancer Institute NSW Travel Grant
- RACS Foundation Research Scholarship
- Niarchos foundation & Bionic Ear Institute Research Grants
- Honours in Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Prize in Otolaryngology
- Dux of Science & School, Carey Grammar School, Prizes in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics
- Australian Students Prize for Excellence in secondary education (1990) awarded by the Prime Minister, Hon. RJL Hawke.
- Peritumoural versus Subareolar Lymphoscintigraphy – is there a difference? Presentation at ASM RACS 2012
- Sequential peri-areolar and peri-tumoural SPECT/CT lymphoscintigraphy has identified high rates of discordance in both axillary and internal mammary sentinel lymph node mapping. Presentation at 34th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium Dec 2011. Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF, Cooper R, Allwright S, Snook KL, Gillet D, Pearce AM, Gebski V.
- Clinical trial to examine the concordance of different breast sentinel node mapping techniques – Annual Scientific Meeting ANZ Breast Cancer Trials Group, July 2009
- Predictive models to estimate the frequency of internal mammary node metastasis and survival impact if untreated. 26th Annual Miami Breast Cancer Conference. F Noushi, AJ Spillane, R Uren, V Gebski
- High false negative rates in internal mammary node evaluation. 26th Annual Miami Breast Cancer Conference. F Noushi, AJ Spillane, R Uren, V Gebski
- Survival modelling of internal mammary metastasis in breast cancer – Annual Scientific Meeting ANZ Breast Cancer Trials Group, November 2008
- Non-axillary sentinel nodes in breast caner, do they matter? Leura VI International Breast Cancer Conference, Sydney September 2008
- Internal mammary lymph node metastasis in breast cancer: Predictive modelling on the frequency and survival outcomes. 14th Congress of European Society of Surgical Oncology, The Hague, Netherlands September 2008. Awarded one of the best presentations of ESSO.
- Internal Mammary Sentinel Lymph Node in Breast Cancer – Evaluation of a single institution experience and predictive analysis of survival outcomes. 6th Biennial International Sentinel Node Society Meeting in February 2008
- Internal Mammary Sentinel Lymphadenectomy Trial Proposal – Breast Surgeons NSW Meeting
- The anatomically correct incidence of internal mammary drainage on lymphoscintigraphy. 31st Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. AJ Spillane, F Noushi, R Cooper, R Uren.
- 6th Biennial International Sentinel Node Society Meeting in February 2008. Minimal Access Breast Surgery – A single breast incision for breast conservation surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. M Brennan, F Noushi, A Spillane
- 7th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer:
The management of metastatic melanoma of unknown primary in the head and neck. K, Shannon, F Noushi, R Martin, K Gao, A Spillane, C O’Brien, J Thompson
- Australian Neuroscience Society Conference in Adelaide in January 2003.
Alginate beads as a novel localized delivery of neurotrophin-3 to regenerating nerves. F Noushi, R Richardson, J Hardman, G Clark and S O’Leary
- RACS – Annual Scientific Congress in Brisbane. A novel method of locally delivering neurotrophin-3 to the regenerating nerves via alginate beads. F Noushi, R Richardson, J Hardman, G Clark and S O’Leary
ASOHNS Annual Scientific Meeting in Cairns in May 2003. A novel method of locally delivering neurotrophin-3 to the regenerating nerves via alginate beads. F Noushi, R Richardson, J Hardman, G Clark and S O’Leary
• High discordance rates between sub-areolar and peri-tumoural breast lymphoscintigraphy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Oct; Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF, Cooper R, Allwright S, Snook KL, Gillet D, Pearce AM, Gebski V.
• Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF; In regard to Hindie et al.; Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Oct
• SPECT/CT scans allow precise anatomical location of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer and redefine lymphatic drainage from the breast to the axilla. Breast. 2012 Aug; Uren R F, Howman-Giles R, Chung DK, Spillane AJ, Noushi F, Gillett D, Gluch L, Mak C, West R, Briody J, Carmalt H.
• Internal mammary node metastasis in breast cancer: predictive models to assist with prognostic influence. The Breast Epub: 12 Feb 2011; Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren R, Gebski V.
• Internal mammary node metastasis in breast cancer: predictive models to determine status & management algorithms. European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2010 Vol. 36, 16-22; Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren R, Gebski V.
• High resolution lymphoscintigraphy is essential for recognition of the significance of internal mammary nodes in breast cancer. A Spillane, F Noushi, R Cooper, V Gebski, R Uren. Annals of Oncology Vol. 20 (6), 977-84
• Internal mammary lymph node metastasis in breast cancer: Predictive modelling on the frequency and survival outcomes. F Noushi, V Gebski, R Uren, A Spillane. European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2008 Sep Vol. 35, Issue 9, Sup
• Internal mammary sentinel lymph node in breast cancer – Evaluation of a single institution experience and predictive analysis of survival outcomes. F Noushi, V Gebski, A Spillane, R Uren. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2008 Feb Vol.15, Sup 1.
• Minimal access breast surgery – A single breast incision for breast conservation surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. M Brennan, F Noushi, A Spillane. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2008 Feb Vol.15, Sup 1
• Inner ear therapy for neural preservation. R Richardson, F Noushi, S O’Leary. Audiology Neurotology, 21(11): 343-356, Sep 2006.
• Delivery of neurotrophin-3 to the using alginate beads. F Noushi, R Richardson, J Hardman, G Clark, S O’Leary. Otology & Neurotology. 26(3):528-533, May 2005.
• A novel method of locally delivering neurotrophin-3 via alginate beads. F Noushi, R Richardson, G Clark, S O’Leary ANZ journal of surgery 2003 Vol. 73, May Sup A60
• Bariatric analysis and reporting outcome (BAROS) in Australia. D Neoh, I Michell, F Noushi ANZ journal of surgery 2003 Vol. 73, May Sup A65
• Use of stents for palliation of malignant Tracheo-Oesophageal Fistulae. S Seevanayagam, F Noushi, SR Knight, FJ Daniel and CP Clarke. ANZ journal of surgery 2000 Vol. 70, May Sup A42,44.
• Aggressive papillary tumour of the temporal bone- new immunohistochemical evidence of endolymphatic sac origin. J Turner, P Chang, F Noushi, M Atlas and P Fagan. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, January 1998, 3, No.1